Saturday, February 12, 2011

Valentine Heart Catcher


One day, it begins to rain hearts, and young Cornelia Augusta begins to catch them. She realizes that these hearts would be great for making valentines. We watch her think of many different kinds of valentines, and think about who each one would be perfect for. What I love about this little book is the thoughtfulness Cornelia Augusta demonstrates, customizing each gift to please a particular friend (and the friends all turn out to be members of the animal world!). Master 2 enjoyed figuring out who each valentine was for and why. Very cute!

This is a really cute Valentine's Day activity, or one that can be used when you're teaching about shapes (heart) or talking about love. One of my favourite rhymes to sing to my boys is

Skinnamarinky dinky dink
Skinnamarinky do,
I love you!

Skinnamarinky dinky dink
Skinnamarinky do,
I love you!

I love you in the morning,
And in the afternoon
I love you in the evening,
Underneath the moon…

Skinnamarinky dinky dink
Skinnamarinky do,
I love you!
I gave Master a piece of clear cellophane and some cut up pink and red squares. A pot of clear glue and he was ready to get busy filling his heart with LOVE.

Make sure you get your little one to leave spaces between the squares so that the sun can shine through when it goes up on the window.


Once the glue had dried we put the heart up on the window and watched the sun coming through. The was a really fun activity that both boys enjoyed and the end result looks great!






























No comments:

Post a Comment